Tuesday 4 June 2013

Rally Car

I have finally finished my latest MOC; a Rally Car.

Rally Car Developed after my Supercar project failed, this MOC has the following features:

  • Fully Independent Suspension
  • Return-to-center Steering via an M Motor
  • Rear Wheel Drive via an XL Motor (geared 1:1 through a differential)
  • Locking Doors
  • Fake V6 Engine
  • Fully Remote Controlled
The Rear suspension is one I found on Youtube by Critycal Jess
It works pretty well, except the 12t Bevel gears transmitting the power into the axles do skip a bit when reversing/setting off making a pretty bad noise. But it is very compact for what it delivers and overall I am pleased with it. I attached an XL Motor onto the 24T of the Differential with a 24T gear, so the overall gear ratio is 1:1
The front suspension is the standard steered front independent suspension using the A
knuckle arms and Steering arm small (6571 & 6572 on Bricklink). The return to center steering unit is an adapted version of Sheepo's Type 1 (http://www.sheepo.es/2011/04/retun-to-centrer-systems.html) which then is fed to a gear rack 1x2 with ball joints (6574 on Bricklink) with an 8T gear. The result is a compact and reliable setup, also the same width as the rear suspension, which was lucky.
After developing the axles I then attached them together in a rigid chassis, incorporating the battery box, V6 engine and IR receiver into the design.
Then came, for me at least, the hardest part of the build; the bodywork. It took the longest to build but I am incredibly pleased with the result. This is the first time I have built bodywork like this in one single colour (apart from the door mirrors unfortunately) as it is the first time I've had access to enough parts. I am pleased with the shape and overall look of the bodywork. The weight is also pretty low too to help with the performance of the model and I like the "skeleton" effect by not filling in the gaps like the bonnet and roof etc, so you can see how everything is working, which I feel you should in a Lego model.
This is my favourite MOC so far which I have built, I am very pleased the looks and the performance, and it is fun to drive around and distress pets.
Pictures and Video:

Rally Car Rally Car
Rally Car

Rally Car Underside